September 21, 2010

Keeping Silent

It's extremely hard for me to be confrontational. I'm just not very good at it. It's almost like sometimes I won't even try to correct someone, or give my opinion in hopes to avoid a conflict.

This is a dangerous mindset to have, especially in today's highly opinionated society. Generally speaking: if you don't know the facts on an issue, then chances are you won't be entirely convicted by it, and you'll be blown around like the seeds of a dandelion by all the hot air blowing round about you.

That's why recently, I've found it easier to stay quiet around people, and let everyone else give their opinion before I put in my two-cents. That way, I can take the time to establish my opinions or gather my facts before looking like someone who is ignorant about something. The hard truth? I don't know everything. Which is why during many of the discussions my class holds during Philosophy, I stay quiet. It's not that I don't have an opinion about the topic at hand, but I would rather someone think that I'm keeping my thoughts to myself, rather than having to improvise a bunch of statements that might not necessarily be my true convictions on it.

Good thing the Good Book backs me up on this. Proverbs says that even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent. Now Mama didn't raise no fool, so if I apply this principle to my life, how much can I find myself in the shoes of a wise man?

Is it hard for you to keep silent sometimes? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment